How to effect payment of motor vehicle licence (Road tax)

You can pay the motor vehicle licence for your vehicle at the NTA Head Office in Cassis. Payment for private vehicles (without any other licence attached) may also be effected at NTA Vehicle Examination Centre (VEC) in Forest Side;District Cash Offices in Rose Hill, Mapou, Curepipe, Centre de Flacq, Mahebourg, Souillac, Bambous and Pamplemousses and Moka;

Post Offices

Late payments and payments after a period of non-renewal are accepted only at the NTA Head Office and the Forest Side VEC.Payments for vehicles having another licence attached, i.e. taxi, contract cars, contract buses and goods vehicles are accepted only at the NTA Head Office.For securing a motor vehicle licence, you have to produce the following documents.

  • The registration book of the vehicle.
  • A valid insurance certificate.
  • A test certificate (fitness) if the vehicle is a private car or motorcycle above 7 years.
  • A certificate of fitness if the vehicle is a public service vehicle or a goods vehicle.
    Payments can be made for periods of 3 months, 6 months or one year.

What happen if a motor vehicle licence is not renewed upon expiry

If you do not renew your motor vehicle licence within 15 days of its expiry, you will have to pay a fine of 50% of the amount due upon renewal.If you do not intend, for any reason whatsoever, to renew your motor vehicle licence, you should, before the date of expiry, notify the Road Transport Commissioner in writing by registered post of your intention not to do so. Make sure that your letter reaches the Commissioner on or before the date of expiry of your licence otherwise the 50% fine will be applicable.

If you are a new owner of an unlicensed vehicle and you do not intend to take out a motor vehicle licence, you should so notify the Commissioner within 7 days of becoming the owner of the vehicle in order to avoid payment of the 50% fine.

How to obtain a duplicate motor vehicle licence in case of loss?

Call at the Police Station of your locality to get a memo from the police certifying that you have reported the loss of your motor vehicle licence disc.Call at the NTA with your National Identity Card, the registration book of your vehicle and the memo from the police. In case of a company, a letter from the company should also be produced authorising you to collect the duplicate licence.You will be issued a duplicate after you have paid the fee of Rs. 200.