How to obtain a ‘B’ Carrier’s licence.?

A ‘B’ carrier licence is a licence which enables the owner of a goods vehicle to use that vehicle for the carriage of goods and persons free of charge for or in connection with any trade or business carried on by him. The original of the trade licence and 1 photocopy thereof has to be produced at the time of application for the licence. Call at the NTA with your National Identity Card. If the application is to be made on the name of a company, bring along the original and a copy of the certificate of incorporation.

(Documents to be produced)

Fill in an appropriate application form. (Download Application Form)

Pay an application fee of Rs 300.

If your application is successful, you will be so informed and will be issued with your licence upon payment of Rs 300 or Rs 700 depending on whether you wish to have your licence for a period of one or three years.The licence has to be renewed for further periods of one or three years upon payment of Rs 300 or Rs 700 respectively.

Small planters, entrepreneurs, fishermen, breeders of cattle, goat, sheep and pig who are owners of dual-purpose vehicles and who wish to benefit from concessionary road tax have to satisfy the following criteria:

A small planter should own at least –

  • 5 arpents of sugar cane or tea; or
  • one arpent full stand or 2 arpents interline in vegetable cultivation; or
  • one arpent of fruits or tobacco; or
  • half arpent in flowers cultivation.
  • Documents to be produced –
  • Registered title deed or leasehold certificate (original + 1 photocopy)
  • a certificate from one of the following bodies:

Sugar Insurance Fund Board (sugar cane plantation)

  •  Agricultural Research and Extension Unit (AREU) (flower cultivation)
  •  Small Planters Welfare Fund (vegetable cultivation)
  •  Tobacco Board ( tobacco cultivation)
  •  Tea Board (tea plantation)


  • Owners should have been planters for at least one year.
  • Lessees should have been planters for at least two years.

breeder should have a minimum herd of 10 cattle or 20 goats or pigs or sheep. A certificate from the Agricultural Research and Extension Unit (AREU) should be produced.

A small entrepreneur should produce –

  • A registration certificate from the Small Enterprises and Handicraft Development Authority (SEHDA);
  • A receipt of payment or trade licence from the appropriate Local Authority for activity undertaken;
  • Documentary evidence of having been in the activity for at least 2 years;
  • Documentary evidence of being an employer of at least five persons in the activity and proof of NPF contribution in respect of these employees for at least two years.

A fisherman must produce a certificate of registration form from the Fisheries Division of the Ministry of Agro Industry and Fisheries certifying that he is involved in net or lagoon fishing.